Saturday, February 22, 2014

TESTING, TESTING, 1, 2, 3

So it's been, oh I don't know, at least 15 years since I actually tested as an athlete.  I'd need to go way back to my Trek-Volkswagen glory days to see the last MAP I did, and even then, the results were less than spectacular.  But since I mounted a pair of Garmin Vector Pedals on the bike, I've been edging closer and closer to performing a 20 minute FTP test, mostly out of pure curiosity, just to see, as a geezer, how far off I am (read: how much I've lost) from the good ole days.

With riding limited by work this week (life's always getting in the way of becoming a pro rider it seems), I figure, what the hell, the legs are reasonably fresh, let's go out and crush 20 minutes and see how we do. 

Step one, build a Computrainer file that mimics an FTP test. Easy, done.  Step two, get suited up, connect the laptop to the Computrainer, and away we go.  How hard can a 20 minute max effort be (done twice)?  Easy-peasy.  Here we go...

As it turns out, 20 minutes is long.  Far longer than I expected.  You actually need to focus.  Now I remember why I don't test, because it hurts.  So, after imagining just about every scenario (mostly chasing my mate, Bob, up a mountain), the test is done.  GOOD RIDDANCE, no need for that silliness anytime soon. 

The result?  A best of 361w over 20 minutes. About as much fun as chewing glass while stabbing yourself in the eyeball.  A considerable way off the glory days, but as a geezer with a 2 year old, I suppose I'll take it, with the knowledge (and expectancy) that the number can be (better be) improved upon over the course of the next few months.

So, what do you do with that precious number?  Why, I'm glad you asked.  Plug it in to your magical training plan and hurt yourself on a regular basis, at varying durations and differing intensities. Simple, right?

Thanks to a couple of guys that are much smarter than I will ever be (Coggan & Allen, I'm looking at you), cyclists can create training zones based on the following breakdown (note LT, or Lactate Threshold, reflects power at FTP, expressed as a percent).
  • Level 1 Active Recovery = < 55% of LT
  • Level 2 Endurance = 56-75% of LT
  • Level 3 Tempo = 76-90% of LT
  • Level 4 Lactate Threshold = 91-105% of LT
  • Level 5 VO2 Max = 106-120% of LT
  • Level 6 Anaerobic Capacity = 121-150% of LT
  • Level 7 Neuromuscular Power = maximum effort
What's that?  You don't have a Computrainer, but you're a masochist and want to suffer through your very own FTP test?  That's easy too.  Step one, make sure you are well rested - this will be like a short race effort - then just follow the protocol below.

1.) Warm up adequately (at least 20 minutes), and include several spin ups, where cadence increases over 100rpm momentarily.
2.) Open your legs up with a 5 minute burst (hard, but not so hard that you can't complete the full effort).
4.) Another 10 minute active recovery.
5.) Then, CRUSH a 20-minute time trial. Make sure you pace yourself, the last thing you want is to expire early, coming up shy of the full 20 minutes.  Keep the effort hard but steady.  If you find gas in the tank in minutes 17, 18 and 19, increase your output, always remembering how much time is left in the test.

Fairly straight forward stuff.  The harder part is figuring how and when to train in each
zone - when to do 2 minute efforts, 10 minutes pieces or the much dreaded HOP or for those not in the know, Hour 
of Power - to maximize fitness and meet your specific objectives; be it a Fondo, a multi-day stage race, a 
Criterium, or whatever else floats your cycling boat.  

Get out there, have some fun, and remember, make it hurt!
 

No comments: